WhatsApp has earned its place as the world’s most popular messaging app, but it can’t rest on its laurels with competitors like Telegram and Signal constantly adding innovative new features to lure in users. The app has recently rolled out a Channels feature, as Meta holds the aim to take things a step further with a quality of life improvement that could help its new one-to-many broadcasting system get off the ground.
Communication with businesses aside, WhatsApp has mostly served the purpose of communicating with the knowns to date, whether it’s family or colleagues. But with the latest update, the platform wants to grow into much more than that.
WhatsApp’s latest update introduces a new feature that will let you follow updates from people and organisations that matter to you, right within the app, called WhatsApp Channels, the feature is a one-way broadcast tool that will deliver updates in a new tab called Updates, separate from your chats with family, friends, and communities.
As detailed by WABetaInfo, the latest beta version of WhatsApp, v188.8.131.52, has a new message reaction feature for Channels. Followers of Channels can send an emoji reaction to specific updates shared within the channel to better express their opinions, and the channel’s owner and other followers will be able to see these reactions. A select few users had previously been able to access this feature, but the outlet reports it is now becoming more widely available to beta testers in regions where Channels have been rolled out.
Channels are rolling out globally over the next few weeks, and will be available in over 150 countries, including India. You can find channels to follow that are automatically filtered based on your country or search for channels by name or category. You can also view channels that are new, most active, and popular based on the number of followers.
Important things to note before using a WhatsApp Channel
- WhatsApp Channel is only available in Singapore and Columbia at the moment
- The profile and phone numbers of admins and followers on WhatsApp Channels will not be shown. In other words, no phone numbers will be visible on the WhatsApp Channel. This encourages followers to join the channel without compromising their personal information. If you’re concerned that it will be difficult for users to contact your brand, you can share a WhatsApp click-to-chat link for users to initiate a chat with you.
- WhatsApp Channel history will only be stored on the server for 30 days. Businesses can utilise this feature for timely updates and limited-time promotions, or switch to the WhatsApp Channel alternatives.
- WhatsApp will create a Channel instantly. Like creating a WhatsApp Community, WhatsApp has no approval process for creating Channels. And once you’ve made your Channel, you can post messages immediately.
- Despite that, remember that WhatsApp has the power over Channels and can take action if you violate its guidelines. General guidelines discourage sharing content that is illegal or can harm people. The platform can also take action against Channels caught engaging in fraud and sharing content that is not age-appropriate to WhatsApp’s audience.
How to Create a Channel on WhatsApp
You can create a WhatsApp Channel on both Android and iOS apps. We’ll show you how to do it on both, starting with Android.
On Android, follow these steps:
- Open WhatsApp and tap Updates.
- Tap the Plus (+) button adjacent to Channels and select Create Channel.
- In the pop-up screen, select Continue.
- Next, enter your Channel’s name and add a description. Finish by adding a Channel profile photo.
- Finally, tap Create Channel to finish the process.
Why You Should Create a Channel on WhatsApp
- Connectivity made simpler
If you own a business or are a well-known personality, you should create a Channel on WhatsApp. One reason is to allow you to connect with your followers and provide them with updates right inside WhatsApp. Whether it’s about a limited ongoing sale or an important update about your services or life, WhatsApp Channels are indispensable.
You can also use your Channel to solicit feedback from your followers or customers through polls. WhatsApp’s Channel feature can also be an essential tool for exposure since the platform can feature you on the searchable directory allowing anyone to discover and follow WhatsApp Channels. As an admin, you will also, in the future, have the power to block people from taking screenshots and forwarding messages from your Channel if your privacy is what you need.
- Expand Your Reach on WhatsApp by Creating a Channel
Now that you know how to create a Channel on WhatsApp, go ahead and make one. You can create one instantly by following the steps above, opening the doors for more exposure on the platform.
In today’s fast-paced digital world, cultivating meaningful connections and becoming the first to reach your target audience has become more important than ever. The WhatsApp channel serves as a powerful tool for making deeper connections with friends, family, colleagues, customers and as well as new ones. the new WhatsApp features opens a wide range opportunities for engagement, from personal chats to business interactions beyond bothers and continents . By harnessing the potential of WhatsApp Channel, individuals and organizations can foster stronger relationships, communicate more effectively, and build trust that extends beyond the virtual realm. So, whether you’re looking to strengthen personal bonds or enhance your business connections, WhatsApp channel that can help you achieve your goals, ultimately leading to a more connected and reach.